Sunday, September 29, 2013

Asking Questions: What questions do we ask? How do we ask?



Before this assignment, I never really thought that "asking questions" was such a big part of learning. I always thought that answering the questions was more important. After reading Ben Johnson's blog, I realized that answering the question doesn't matter if you are asking the wrong questions. The questions we ask should be well thought out and prepared before teaching. Preparing you questions can help students avoid confusion and keep yourself on the right track.I was really shocked when Ben Johnson wrote that months went by where students did not answer questions. I admit that I was one of the students that always allowed others to answer the questions, but I answered one every now and then. I think every student should be able to voice their opinions and be able to express themselves. EDM 310 has taught me a method of answering questions that can help this problem. Google padlet would allow teachers to view multiple answers at once. Every student would be able to answer questions and share their thoughts. This would also help teachers. Instead of just hearing one students answer, you would see answers from the entire class. You would know that students do not understand the material when many students do not know the correct answer.





Tips for Asking Questions


  • When planning questions, keep in mind your course goals
  • Aim for direct, clear, specific questions
  • When you plan each class session, include notes of when you will pause to ask and answer questions
  • Show that you are interested in students’ answers, whether right or wrong
  • Do not interrupt students’ answers
  • Wait for students to think and formulate responses
  • Develop responses that keep students thinking

3 comments:

  1. Great Post Raven! I love the list of helpful tips for asking questions. It makes it easier for the audience to read when your writing is spaced out.

    "EDM 310 has taught me a method of answering questions that can this problem." I would change this sentence to make more sense to the reader.

    Other than that, your post was fantastic! I love the picture you posted with an example of an activity for students. I would use this everyday in my classroom to get the students thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Before this assignment, I never really though that "asking questions" was such a big part of learning." thought, not though

    "EDM 310 has taught me a method of answering questions that can this problem." Jamie suggested you correct this. I agree.

    Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raven!
    I really liked you blog post. I love that it was short and to the point but also very informative. The list of questions are great for helping make things clear for the reader.. I also loved the fact that you listed a resource for teachers to use. You not only listed the resource but you gave an example picture. Thank you for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete