Sunday, December 8, 2013

Final Reflection

Not many of my thoughts have changed since I wrote my first blog post in EDM 310. If I could build a school, it would still be the one I imagined in week one. My ideas were all about how to get the students to enjoy learning and make it more fun. Even though my ideas are the same, EDM 310 has introduced many resources and tools that will make my job a lot easier. I decided to re answer the questions from blog post one for my final reflection. 

What do I want my students to know?
I want my students to know how to properly take care of their bodies for the rest of their lives. It's easy to get a student to exercise in my classroom, the challenge is to help them want to continue when they go home that day. It's even more challenging to push them to continue after you are no longer their teacher. I want my students to know how important physical education is. The decision to start making healthy choices will help students continue healthy lifestyles when they reach adulthood.

What would I want my students to be able to do?
I want my students to be able to know that there is more to physical education that just games and sports. When I was in PE, my teacher just took us outside and let us run loose for an hour. I want to teach my students skills and techniques that they can continue to use. I want them to  know that technique is more important than just doing something. What I really want my students to be able to do is know the difference between just playing and exercising and being healthy.

What will be your primary way of teaching?
The way I plan to teach my classroom is very simple. I want to provide my students guidance instead of just telling them what to do. I can't just tell them the right answers all of the time. I want to help guide them to figure the answers for themselves. I also plan to teach using project based learning. One of the projects I will definitely try is having students create exercise videos. I will have them split up into groups and make a collective video. Each student will contribute an exercise or stretching portion to the video. After they make the video, I will make copies to give the students to keep and use for later. I will also keep a copy to show future classes. I think that when students see them it will make them excited to make their own videos.


What role will students play in my classroom?
How will they participate in the learning process?
The way students will play a role in my classroom has not changed. I plan to have students create their own exercise plan that they will use everyday. They will be able to choose the way they exercise during a time during class. I think it is a great way to allow students to show that they can make healthy decisions. Their opinions about things that I teach will also influence me when I am teaching. I don't want to teach something that they hate doing unless it is absolutely necessary that they learn it that way. I want them to be able to learn in the most fun way possible.

What tools will I use in my classroom?
In my 1st blog post I said that I would not be able to use a lot of technology in my classroom. I thought that there was no use for Ipads or computers. Since I have been in EDM 310, I have found many apps and programs that I can use when I teach. My favorite is Daily Fit Log. It helps students create fitness plans and record their progress. This is definitely going to be part of my teaching plan. I also still plan to use the Wii and other kinds of games. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of having students produce videos!

    Time management will be vital all your life.

    Are you any better at evaluating your own performance now than you were at the start of class? Which is more important: you grade or what you have learned and are now able to do? What if we abolished grades entirely? What differences would that bring about?

    ReplyDelete