Sunday, October 5, 2014

How do we all become learners?

Becoming a learnerPart of preparing myself to be a teacher is accepting that I will not know everything when I begin teaching. I will be constantly learning from new technology, my peers, and even my students. I think that Michele Bennet had a great example when she learned how to use a new tool from one of her students. When she didn't know how to add an image to padlet, a student volunteered to teach her how. She and the student were both proud of this accomplishment. I think one of my strengths is that I can learn how to  use new tools pretty quickly. It doesn't usually take me too long to figure something out. One of my weaknesses is procrastinating. I always wait until the last minute to try and do everything. During the time I have left in college I plan to find ways to incorporate project based learning in my classroom. There aren't that many PBL examples for PE classes but I'm determined to find and create some that I can use with my students. 


Using QR Codes

Raven Williams Edm310 Blog
QR code to My Blog
I've seen QR codes almost everywhere. You can see them on all kinds of products in grocery stores, restaurants, and other places. I never knew what they for or how to use them. I definitely didn't know that I could create my own QR codes. Michele Bennett's tutorial on how to create a QR code was very simple and easy to do. She uses Record MP3 to create an audio URL. After she copies the URL, she creates a QR code using QR Code Monkey. I think this is very useful for students. They can create QR codes that will take them directly to their work. I think using QR codes would also be beneficial for teachers. Instead of having to type out long websites, teachers could just give students QR codes to scan. They could also be sent home so parents could see what their child is doing in class.


Popplet is an app that students can use to capture and organize their ideas. It helps students learn and think visually. Students can capture thoughts, images, images. They can also use Popplet to create relationships between them. Ginger Tuck uses popplet with her students to create a web for a book about careers. They chose to create a web on veterinarians. They included pictures and pages from the book to create their web.

AVL is the Alabama Virtual Library. It is a website where students can log in and find resources form many different sources. Ginger Tuck used AVL for an assignment with her class. Her students were given a list of transportation methods that would find information on using AVL. Information on AVL can sometimes include videos or audio recordings. Her students had to write a sentence for each different method transportation. You can gain access to the Alabama Virtual Library by visiting any public library.
IMovie logo
Elizabeth Davis and Michele Bennett talk about the technology they are using in kindergarten classes. I was really surprised to hear how efficient they were with IMovie. They were spending hours creating and editing their book trailers. It took me hours just to figure out how to use IMovie. I think it's really important to never underestimate what you think your students can do.
The board builder is on the tools that Discovery Education offers. Tammy Shirley used this tool with her students for an assignment about the moon. Her students:

  • Watched a video about the moon on Discovery Education
  • Wrote facts about the moon
  • Worked together building a board on Discovery Education
I really liked that one of the students was involved in the video. She explained how she used Discovery Education and built her board. I think it was a great way to show how much of independent learners her students are becoming.




1 comment:

  1. "Part of preparing myself to be a teacher is accepting that will not know everything when I begin teaching. " You need a subject for this sentence. You probably left out I.

    "I will be constantly from new technology,' I think you left out learning.

    Interesting. Thorough. Thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete