Wednesday, November 27, 2013

What did I leave out?

Why I chose Physical Education

I began participating in sports when I was in fifth grade. I started out with basketball and eventually started cheering as well. The times I was playing or cheering were honestly the best times of my life as a student. I knew that I wanted to always be involved in sports so I began coaching. I coached my first youth league cheerleading team  when I was a senior in high school. This was my favorite part of my senior year. Being able to create routines and cheers never got boring. Even though I loved cheering I knew that there was a lot more to coaching than just dancing and cheers. I wanted my girls to be healthy athletes. Part of our practices were always dedicated to just stretching and exercising. 
When I was a student in High school I was given the opportunity to be an elementary school teacher's aid. My job was to help students that were still learning English as their second language. I loved it so much that I joined my schools FTA organization. The Future Teachers of Alabama helped me a lot when I decided I was going to school to become a teacher. It allowed me to go to many conventions that showed me the all of my options for college choices.
The moment I knew I wanted to be a PE teacher was at a youth cheer clinic for our elementary school. It was a great experience and it felt like like I already had my own PE classroom. We had to plan new things to do everyday, keep kids involved, and discipline them everyday. 
I also want to be able to teach outside of school. I want to be able to do anything that involves sports or being outdoors. I want to be able to lead classes in kayaking, canoeing, hiking, swimming, and anything else I can learn to do and teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment