Sunday, September 14, 2014

Asking Questions: What questions do we ask? How do we ask?

I think that is really important for teachers to learn how to ask good questions. I didn't know that there was a wrong way to ask questions until two years ago when I joined Alpha Delta Pi. Going through recruitment was an amazing time for me. I got to meet a lot of new people and became a part of an amazing sisterhood. Recruitment was a lot like speed dating to me. You're basically trying to learn as much as you can about a person in a small amount of time. I didn't learn about asking question until I was able the other side of recruitment. We constantly had workshops and activities that would help us be able to talk to potential new members. The most important thing we learned was how to ask open ended questions. These workshops could go on for hours. We were always brainstorming new ideas and learning more effective ways to ask questions. I always hated going to those workshops but now I'm really thankful for them.


 It's really important for teachers to be able to ask good questions. Students need to be challenged and I don't think that questions that just end in yes or no accomplish that. I also think it is important that ALL children should be participating in answering. I just think that it's crazy that a child can sit in a classroom for months without answering a single question. How do  teachers know that they understand if they don't ask?

1 comment:

  1. Be sure and title your blog posts like, "Blog Post #4", so that can find your weekly work easily! Also, add in articles and videos that you refer to in your blog post, according to whatever is assigned that week :) overall, good post!

    ReplyDelete